Human Services Minister Jacquie Petrusma must assure organisations working in homelessness and associated programs that their funding is secure or risk a collapse of the sector, Shadow Human Services Minister Rebecca White said today.
The Federal Government has extended the National Partnership Agreement on Homelessness to June 30 2015, however the funding must be matched by a commitment of $2.8 million per annum from the Hodgman Government.
Despite last week’s Supplementary Appropriation Bill the sector is still unaware as to whether funding for the 2014-2015 financial year will be provided.
“With less than a month before the current funding agreement expires, these organisations are in complete limbo,” Ms White said.
“This funding supports some of the most vulnerable Tasmanians.
“It would be short sighted and cruel to leave them without any funding certainty for the next 12 months.
“It also throws the staffing situations of community organisations into disarray.
“It seems the Hodgman Government is waiting until it hands down its delayed Budget in August before confirming whether the funding is there or whether it will fall victim to the Hodgman Government’s expected cuts.
“These organisations cannot wait that long.”